Friday, January 4, 2013

No-Scrub Stove Top Cleaning

The other day I was full of energy, which rarely happens anymore. I scrubbed my house top to bottom. 

We moved into our house this last Summer and we've put tons of work into it, and cleaned the entire house, of course. But there's one thing that's been bugging me since I moved in, that I couldn't quite clean completely. Everything I was trying wasn't working. It was my stove top! I inherited a gas stove, which everyone has said I will grow to love...still not loving it. Anyway, the people that lived in our house before us were...is there a nicer word for disgusting?? Our house is only 5 years old, but they completely destroyed it. 

The oven and stove top looked like they had NEVER been cleaned before. In fact, I'm positive they never cleaned them. I wish I was exaggerating. So I got on my laptop and searched for ways to clean your stove. 

Confession 257 of a Domestic Goddess: I spend WAY too much time on Pinterest. 

So, I found what looked to be a good idea on the handy-dandy Pinterest. 

Here's the site it took me to:
http://www.thevspotblog.com/2011/07/cleaning-stove-burners-grates-best.html

Here's The How-To:
You will need
  • gallon-size Ziploc bags 
  • basic ammonia

Place one stove top burner in a Ziploc bag. Measure 1/4 cup ammonia to pour into bag, and seal. 
You can place them on a baking sheet, to make sure not to spill. 


Then place in garage or outside somewhere and let sit for 24 hours. The fumes from the ammonia will break down the grease on your burners. 

What I Did:

Put 1/2 cup ammonia in bag AND let sit 48 hours. I doubled the amount of ammonia AND the time it soaked. I chose to do this, because my burners literally had texture to them! They had never been cleaned, and soaking them 24 hours just wasn't as effective as I wanted it to be. 

Once they were done soaking, I placed them straight into the dishwasher, to get rid of the fumes. (I have a baby, you know.) 

I'm not sure if that step was crucial for my results or not, because I didn't try it without this step. But when I pulled them out, the grease and build-up just peeled off. No joke. 


It was awesome in a disturbing kind of way. :) 

Here's some Before/After pictures.




Now, that!! I can cook on. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment