Sunday, May 12, 2013

Of All The Rights of Women, the Greatest is to be a Mother

Happy Mothers Day to all the wonderful ladies in my life. 

I want to take a minute to focus on MY mom, I know, I know, yours is probably cool too, but this is about HER. And I kinda feel like bragging. ;) 

Sometimes, I don't know whether to call her insane or saintly. 

Not only did she give birth to SIX crazy, and unique individuals, no, that wasn't enough for her. She went on to take care of several dozens of children throughout my childhood. She decided to be a foster AND respite mom as well. (Like I said, crazy or angelic??) While doing Foster Care, she found something, or rather, someone that she never knew she was always missing. She fit in so well with the family, and we all agreed that she needed to be with us forever. My family adopted Melissa, June 6, 2000, and we haven't been the same since. 

My mom was always there growing up. Sure, she missed the occasional concert or game, but she was always around when we really needed her. 

My mom is one of my VERY best friends. I know I can always talk to her, about ANYTHING. And just recently, I've come to realize that not all mother/child relationships are that way. So I have to say that I'm very grateful that ours is. 

Lastly, I think my mom is beautiful. Absolutely and ridiculously so. People tell me all the time that they thought she was my sister. My mother turned 50 this year and can still pass as a woman in her 30's. What a relief to me, that I have her genes. :) I can only hope that I age half as well as her. 


In terms of whether she's nuts or heaven-sent, I'm still not quite sure. All I know is that I'm grateful. And that I love her. And that I wouldn't change a thing about her. And that if I could go back in time and change the way I treated her when I was growing up, and how I thought she was "ruining" my life, I would in a heartbeat. I'd slap my teenage-self and make myself see just how special of a person she was, and still is today. 

* * * * *

Mom, 
If you're reading this. I promise, I promise to never forget...


XOXO

Happy Mother's Day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment