Monday, November 23, 2015

Porter's Room

When I started Porter's room, I really just had an open mind about everything. I didn't have any specific requirements, because it really all depended on his bedding. 


I originally tried sticking with the same color scheme that his nursery was, because replacing everything sounded like something I didn't want to deal with. However, after searching for "big boy" bedding, I came to the conclusion that it all stinks! I found myself hating just about everything I saw. I searched and searched and searched. After all the searching, I found a few that I absolutely loved!....Turns out I really love Australia, cause they've got their kids bedding figured out! Unfortunately for me, most Australian companies don't ship to the U.S. So, my top three picks weren't really options...BUT behold, I FINALLY found a company that works with the U.S., thus I was able to get some bedding I not only could live with, but actually liked. 

Phew!!

Think that story was exhausting?? Think I'm absolutely ridiculous for going through such a long, and tiresome process for a simple piece of fabric that lays on my child's bed?? GOOD!! I couldn't agree with you more!! Sometimes, I amaze myself. I'm completely ridiculous, and anal, and a perfectionist, and it's exhausting...but I've learned to deal. :) As Popeye would say, "I yam what I yam". And yes, I did just quote a cartoon character. 

ANYWAY!!! I got a little off track there...

So, after all was said and done, I abandoned the "stick with the nursery colors" plan, and went with the "whatever the heck I could find that wasn't hideous" plan.

And, as always, I love the end results!! 

So, here's a BEFORE picture of Porter's room from the listing:


I know from the picture above, you can't tell how dirty everything was. I have had to paint every surface in my house. There are stains scrubbing just can't remove. So, though the baseboards were actually white in Porter's room, we had to paint them again. And as for the lovely lavender walls? I don't think Porter would appreciate growing up knowing he had a purple room as a kid, so they had to go too. 

This is the part where I shut up and let the pictures do the talking...
AFTER:














 













The bedding I ended up with was black and white. The trim around it was a nice kelly green, so I used that as an accent color. I was also able to re-use a lot of the things that were in Porter's nursery, simply by painting them to match the new color scheme, or re-covering them with new coordinating paper/fabric. 

Like these:



BEFORE:


AFTER:


On the "P" gallery wall, I ended up selling the little mirrors, and replaced them with the two arrows instead. 

And for the list of where it all came from:
Bed-IKEA (Full-size)
Comforter Set-Cotton On (Full-size)
Sheet Set(only pillows are visible)-Target (Full-size)
Kelly Green Throw Pillows-I sewed
Letter "P" Throw Pillow-The Land of Nod
Alligator Stuffed Animal-IKEA
Black and White Throw-IKEA
Monochrome Felt Balls-Little Darlin
Deer Poster-Hobby Lobby
Black Picture Frames-Walmart
Alligator Rocker-The Land of Nod
Black and White Rug-Target
Green Child's Chair-IKEA
Black and White Throw Pillow-I sewed
TeePee Print-Hobby Lobby
Green Storage Tins-Tai Pan Trading
Green Wooden Box (originally yellow)-Downeast Home
Black Curtains-Walmart (63")
Artificial Plants-IKEA
Cash Jar-Gift
Adventure/Mountain Prints-Conversations in Ink
Turtle Night Light-Gift
Arrow Marquee Lights-Target
Wood Grain Box-Michaels
Asst. of "P's"-Hobby Lobby
Two Wall Arrows-Hobby Lobby
Ceiling Fan-Lowes (in black)

Things this room still needs:
-New Carpet
-Cushion for Window Seat
-Black TeePee Throw Pillow (to replace to "P" throw pillow)

My favorite thing(s) about this room? I really love the little green chair. Or I should say, I love that Porter loves it. He pulls books from his bookshelf and runs over to that chair and reads, and reads. He also uses it to climb into bed by himself, because he's a "big boy". I also love the "P's". I'm glad I re-used them. I like them more now than I did in his nursery. 

Hope you enjoyed!!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment